The Special Collections reading room will be closed September 22nd through October 3rd while staff move archival and rare book holdings to a new onsite storage vault. We will be able to respond to phone calls and emails in a limited capacity during this time. Thank you for your continued patience!
Earlier this month, several collections moved to the Library’s new offsite storage annex. To facilitate research, we recommend patrons contact Special Collections staff at least 24 hours in advance of their visit to request any of the collections listed below. This will provide staff time to retrieve boxes from the offsite location and bring them to the Special Collections reading room (now located in 219A in the Mary Couts Burnett Library).
Bell Family Papers
Raymond Buck Papers
Wendell Robert Carr Papers
Amon Carter Papers
Records of the Greater Southwest International Airport
Jarvis-Van Zandt Family Papers
Henry C. Kelly Papers
Mabel M. Kuykendall Papers
Ernest Ligon Papers
Joseph Colin Murphey Papers
Dave Oliphant Papers
Lorraine Sherley Papers
Edwin Lee Stiles Papers
Stanley Trachtenberg Papers
Speaker Jim Wright Collection
The Mary Couts Burnett Library is currently undergoing a major renovation project with an expected completion date of August 2015. Due to this project, the Special Collections reading room will be moving to a temporary location in the library, Room 219A (next door to the computer training room). In addition, the Jim Wright Papers, the Amon G. Carter Papers and other collections will be moving offsite during renovations. Requests for materials stored offsite will be required in advance of research visits so staff can retrieve boxes in a timely manner. The department will be operational during renovations, but we strongly encourage researchers to contact us via email or phone prior to their visit. Please visit the Special Collections homepage, the Library homepage, and the Library Facebook page for updates and announcements regarding construction.
Phone: (817) 257-7108
The records of the Bryson Club are now available in TCU Special Collections. The English department formed the Bryson Club in 1923 in memory of Walter Buxton Bryson, who chaired the department from 1917 until his death in 1922. Professors Mabel Major and Rebecca Smith Lee became the club’s first faculty advisors. In 1933, Lorraine Sherley took over as advisor, guiding the club for over 50 years until her death in 1984. In 1981, Ernest Allen became co-advisor, and donated the club’s records to TCU prior to his death in 2007. The club invited juniors and seniors with a 3.0 G.P.A or higher to join, and hosted bi-monthly meetings in which students submitted and read manuscripts, plays, poems, essays, or short stories. Beginning in 1935, the club extended invitations to upperclassmen other than English majors. In 1938, the club established a scholarship fund to assist qualified members.
The club crest was the Bryson Buxton shield. It bore a Horned Frog and three stars signifying social and physical health, scholarship, and leadership. The club colors were white, blue, and gold. The club’s motto was “Do it with thy might.”
The records include documentation on club membership, meetings, finances, and the organizational constitution. Correspondence, newspaper clippings, artifacts, guest books and photographs of meetings, initiations, and parties are also in the collection.
The club still exists today as the Bryson Literary Society.